What is clinical waste?
Clinical waste as defined by the Controlled Waste (England and Wales) 2012 Regulations state that any waste partly or wholly made up of:
- Waste from a healthcare activity including veterinary healthcare
- contains viable micro-organisms or their toxins which are known or reliably believed to cause disease in humans or other living organisms,
- contains or is contaminated with a medicine that contains a biologically active pharmaceutical agent, or
- is a sharp, or a body fluid or other biological material (including human and animal tissue) containing or contaminated with a dangerous substance within the meaning of Council Directive 67/548/EEC on the approximation of laws, regulations and administrative provisions relating to the classification, packaging and labelling of dangerous substances (b),
- Waste of a similar nature from a non-healthcare activity
Most clinical waste is produced by the healthcare sector, such as hospitals, GP surgeries, dental practices and nursing homes. In addition clinical waste can also come from zoological institutes, veterinary practices and research centres. Other producers of clinical waste and sharps waste include acupuncturists, tattooists and piercists.
Fully compliant clinical waste disposal service
Novus Environmental provides:
- ADR trained drivers & compliant fleet of collection vehicles
- On-site treatment and disposal processes
- Waste segregation advice and training
- Clinical Waste Audit
- Supply of consumables
- Nationwide coverage
Our fully licenced waste management service provides you with the assurance that your clinical waste is handled, transported and treated in accordance with the Department of Health guide: HTM 07:01 Safe Management of Healthcare Waste, for peace of mind.
Who do we work with?
We provide clinical waste disposal and clinical waste management services for the National Health Service, animal healthcare providers, universities, higher education colleges and pharmaceutical and other R&D facilities.
Clinical waste segregation
The correct segregation of your sharps waste in particular, demonstrates strong health and safety governance. To support this, we can provide best practice training and guidance, along with a range of effective sharps containers. This helps minimise the risk of needle-stick injuries to staff and others.
Supply consumables and containers
We are able to supply a range of consumables and containers including wheelie bins with capacities ranging from 240lts up to 1100lts. Our wheeled bins comply with the highest international standards, including those required to meet infectious (clinical) waste.
Clinical waste disposal processes
The disposal of clinical and sharps waste is a specialist field, in which Novus Environmental possesses a wealth of knowledge and experience. We are one of the country’s few waste management companies using rotoclave technology to sterilise clinical waste. We also provide a complete destruction service for your sharps waste.
To find out how Novus Environmental can help your company dispose of clinical waste email us or use the enquiry form at the top of the page.
Call 0330 221 1281 for all your waste management needs
- Specialist disposal
- UN approved consumables
- Training and guidance available
- Highest standards of compliance
- Complete and secure destruction
- Public and private sector service